The magnificent Japanese Garden will reopen its doors for 6 weeks only from Saturday, 27 April to Sunday, 9 June so you can admire the spring colours in their full glory. The garden will be open daily from 9.00 to 20.00 hrs. during this 6-week period.
The Japanese Garden was created in the beginning of the 20th century by the former owner of the country estate of Clingendael, Marguérite M. Baroness van Brienen (1871-1939), also called Lady Daisy. Lady Daisy sailed off a number of times by ship to Japan and brought back to the Netherlands a number of lanterns, a water cask, sculptures, the pavilion, the little bridges and several plants. The original design with the serene pond, meandering brook and the winding pathways has remained intact all these years.
The Municipality of The Hague has always taken great care of the Japanese Garden because of its uniqueness and tremendous historical value. The garden was placed on the list of national historical monuments in 2001. Due to its fragility, the garden can be visited only during 2 short periods of the year.